What is oral norethindrone, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?
Norethindrone is a man-made progestin used for treating abnormal uterine bleeding and related condtions (such as amenorrhea and endometriosis). Progestins are steroid hormones that have the same effect as progesterone. Norethindrone works by stopping gonadotropin production from the pituitary gland, leading to prevention of ovulation in females. The FDA approved norethindrone in April, 1982.
What brand names are available for norethindrone-oral?
Is norethindrone available as a generic drug?
Do I need a prescription for norethindrone?
What is the dosage for norethindrone?
- POPs must be taken at the same time every day, so choose a time and then take the pill at that same time every day. Every time you take a pill late, and especially if you miss a pill, you are more likely to get pregnant.
- Start the next pack the day after the last pack is finished. There is no break between packs. Always have your next pack of pills ready.
- You may have some menstrual spotting between periods. Do not stop taking your pills if this happens.
- If you vomit soon after taking a pill, use a backup method (such as a condom and/or a spermicide) for 48 hours.
- If you want to stop taking POPs, you can do so at any time, but, if you remain sexually active and don’t wish to become pregnant, be certain to use another birth control method.
- If you are not sure about how to take POPs, ask your healthcare professional.
- It’s best to take your first POP on the first day of your menstrual period.
- If you decide to take your first POP on another day, use a backup method (such as a condom and/or a spermicide) every time you have sex during the next 48 hours.
- If you have had a miscarriage or an abortion, you can start POPs the next day.
- If you are more than 3 hours late or you miss one or more POPs:
- TAKE a missed pill as soon as you remember that you missed it,
- THEN go back to taking POPs at your regular time,
- BUT be sure to use a backup method (such as a condom and/or a spermicide) every time you have sex for the next 48 hours.
- If you are not sure what to do about the pills you have missed, keep taking POPs and use a backup method until you can talk to your healthcare professional
Which drugs or supplements interact with norethindrone?
No drug-drug interactions have been conducted and established with norethindrone.
Is norethindrone safe to take if I'm pregnant or breastfeeding?
Norethindrone is not recommended for pregnant mothers under any circumstances. Norethindrone may cause birth defects.
Norethindrone may enter in breast milk in trace amounts. It should be used with extreme caution in nursing mothers.
What else should I know about norethindrone?
What preparations of norethindrone are available?
Tablets: 5 mg tablets
How should I keep norethindrone stored?
Store norethindrone tablets between temperatures of 20 C to 25 C (68 F to 77 F).
Medically Reviewed on 10/29/2019
FDA Prescribing Information